Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Baby Scarf/Hood with Pocket

I picked this book up while I was in Utah a little while ago:
baby knits for beginners even though I don't know if I'll be able to do very many of them before my baby grows up. It's a great book that takes you from project to project developing your skill as you go, and I recommend it if you have a baby and are new to knitting.

My one issue with this book is that it doesn't have an illustration of the piece shapes along with the pattern. This is something that I appreciate because it acts like a map of sorts, and I am a very visual person. Oh well, what can you do?


So I decided to start with this baby scarf that has a pocket and is sewn into a hood at the fold. I am frequently drawn to simple lines and patterns because I like the look of them, but I later find out that they aren't very challenging, so I made a mental commitment to challenge myself after I finish this cute scarf. I almost didn't do the pocket because I wasn't sure my 4 month old baby would get much use out of it, but it did add a certain decorative affect that I thought would look nice, and I also appreciated the more mentally stimulating part of the pattern.

I used a different yarn then they recommend in the book, mainly because I was too impatient to wait for yarn to be shipped to me from ordering it online. I found a cotton/acrylic blend at Michaels that had a very nice suede like quality that I have been wanting to try. Normally, I have a difficult time getting myself to try yarns from a craft store, because they generally don't carry anything of quality, but I made an exception with this one because I thought it would give my scarf a nice "hand" and so far I think I am right. I'll go into the particulars of the brand and color of the yarn when I post the finished product.

As you can see from these pictures, this scarf is knitted in a rib knit which you are instructed to do until your brain turns to mush (another of the pitfalls of choosing a simple pattern) or you get 491/2 inches (why not just round it out to 50?), whichever comes first.




Here is the right side of the pocket, please excuse the poor quality of picture, I took these from my cell as I have misplaced my camera.
























This is the wrong side of the pocket that will later be sewn to the wrong side of the scarf.

So cute, right? I can't wait to see it on my little baby boy this winter!

8 comments:

Jonathan said...

OOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH too cute!!!

ABlack said...

What a cute scarf! I really been thinking lately that I need a refresher course in knitting from you. After making those scarfs last year I kinda forgot how. Anyway, very cute.
ahlena

jill said...

Seriously Jon!Very fun scarf and hooray for you doing these projects and following them with a blog. You are one crafty mamma!

heather said...

so cute.

Kara said...

So cute! I think everything is better with a pocket.

Andy and Jessica said...

These scarfs are so adorable!
What a fun project. :-)

Becky said...

this is going to be so cute! wow!

Natalie said...

Is there anything that you can't do?
By the way, if you don't have time to help Ahlena with that refresher course, just let me know and i will run over there and get her going again. Remember what a whiz I am with a knitting stick? (or what ever we used at young women's that one time)