Saturday, October 25, 2008

Pom Poms

I love love loooove pom poms. Unfortunately, they are a pain in the neck to make, and unless you have a pom pom maker, the best you will be able to make is a limp floppy pom pom. There's nothing more sad than a limp pom pom (and I mean nothing, not even our economy).

I've seen and used a few pom pom makers in my day, including this little Japanese gem, and until yesterday, I thought that this was the best in the world of pom pom makers. And truthfully, it's not too bad, but there is a bit of a learning curve and sometimes it is frustrating getting the pieces together. Also, when I snip the yarns, I always have this mini panic attack because the yarns could so easily slip out and become uneven (Gasp! Horror of horrors, right?)

Then, Yesterday, a bright big beautiful world of possibilities in the pom pom world opened up to me when I found the clover pom pom maker at my Micheal's craft store.

They aren't as compact as the Japanese ones, but boy are they functional! So easy to use, and when you snip the yarn, it stays in place thanks to the middle disk thingy. Also, because there is a central pin holding the two pieces together, there is a hole that you can string something through if you want before you fluff it up (otherwise, just fluff and the other yarns fill in the hole). They are a bit more expensive, but I think it's worth it.

Incidentally, this is a great thing to use with leftover yarn...

Okay, I'm off to adorn all of my daughters belongings with pom poms!

4 comments:

Chris said...

The only questions is, what size of pom-pon maker did you get?

ali said...

good question. I got extra large, large and slightly less large. I'm planning on acquiring all sizes eventually.

Erin said...

I really like pom poms too. Nicely done.

Becky said...

oooh so cute. i totally thought you had to buy those things.(shows how much i know about this stuff) great work!