Saturday, February 28, 2009

Hooded Sweater (finished)

*sigh*

Where do I begin? I started this sweater years ago. Yes, years. I actually can't even remember when it was, but I know that it has been over multiple pregnancies and weight fluctuations. This sweater has been on many vacations with me, and it has basically been the thorn in my side for quite some time. I just finished it tonight, and I hate it. Now, to be fair, I've learned a lot since I started this sweater, and really, I shouldn't have picked such a boxy pattern. I should know better having been a mediocre seamstress for the better part of my life, and also from just being an experienced shopper (i.e. you never buy something just because it looks good on the model--everything looks good on models). Also, the pattern is foreign (like from a different country), and the wording was weird and very confusing at times. And to be quite frank--I wouldn't buy it if I saw it in the store, and that is NOT my objective with crafting. Honestly, it was enough to make me not want to knit for a long time, and I don't remember ever feeling that. I guess I should be more patient with myself... Enough of that, on to the gory pictures:


This is what it's supposed to look like



This is it. Notice that the hood is too small, I have to carefully move it over my face to get through...



Once the hood is off, it isn't quite as hideous (sorry for the blurry pic)



And, finally, the sleeves are too long.

So there you have it. I'm going to go stuff this thing in the recesses of my closet and console myself with an episode of Wings and then go to bed. Maybe I'll bring it out again after I have lost scads of weight and my hair has grown--maybe then I won't hate it...

Specs (you know, if you really want them)
Pattern: Hooded Sweater from Rebecca 29 (pattern #3)
Yarn: GGH Domino in red, black, and white
Needles: A whole mess of size five needles

6 comments:

Becky said...

gosh ali! you are amazing!

i think this sweater will find a home on a warm night at the beach in hawaii or cali...am i right?

seriously good for you for getting it done. and i really like it. i love the sleeves.

Kara said...

Your first sweater! That is amazing. I know what it is like to spend so much energy knitting something and it just not live up to what you expected. But it is a good learning experience and it will help you with your next project.

Erin said...

I know all too well the feeling of trying on something you have spent hours and hours making, looking in the mirror, and be totally disappointed. But like Kara said, it is a good learning experience. What are you going to knit next?

arleneo said...

Ali,
I'm going on record to say I love it! You are too hard on yourself.

Teri said...

I love my sweaters sleeves too long!!I cant believe you made that.. how long did it take?

ali said...

years, and years, and years. Sadly.