Saturday, February 21, 2009

Take me Back, Please?

So I owe you all an apology (yes, all three of you). I left you right in the middle of a knit-along without any explanation. You see, my beloved computer started taking over my life (it all started when I decided to join facebook... but that's another story) and I had to stage a coup d'etat to get my life back. I'm not sure how much power I should let my computer have, but I'm slowly giving a little for a few reasons. During the coup, if I may get serious for a minute, I pondered the value of my blog(s) and whether or not to reinstate them. At first I worried that with this blog it may look as if I'm showing off or portraying some false sense of reality, or worse, that I may be pressuring myself to make things so that I could post them on my blog. I have thought about this for a couple of weeks, and I have come to these conclusions:

*During my break, I began to search for other crafty blogs/websites, and I realized that I did this because I was looking for inspiration and ideas and also just because I wanted to see what everyone "out there" was making and I realized that my blog was a part of that community also. I have long wanted to do my part to further the art of making (knitting, crocheting, quilting, sewing etc.) toward the next generation because I honestly believe there is large value in these lost arts, and I think my blog helps that cause. I hope that people who come to my blog enjoy seeing what I make and perhaps learn from my mistakes and possibly even become inspired to learn something new or continue to make great things. I realize I'm not curing cancer, but I hope you all see this blog as not merely a chance to show off.

*As far as my not portraying a false sense of reality--I can honestly say that this is my reality. Even without the blog aspect I have a very strong drive inside of me to create. The fulfillment is addictive and it beats the hell out of watching TV (not that I'm opposed to watching TV, believe me). I craft for three main reasons: 1-I enjoy the challenge and sense of accomplishment 2-I like having one-of-a-kind items that fit well 3-occasionally I do it for cost reasons, although it is rare that crafting will cost less these days. Also, I can craft and watch TV at the same time.

*As for the pressure, a little of that is a good thing. I sometimes get distracted in the middle of projects and have a hard time finishing them, so a little pressure to finish is a good thing. If this pressure starts to make me resent my projects, I'll take a step back.

So there you have it. Here's hoping that my blog will enrich your lives or mine in some small way. And now, if you'll take me back, I have a TON of finished projects waiting in the wings for your approval.

3 comments:

Erin said...

I love blogging for these very reasons. I too have a very intense desire to create--I don't know how it grew so strong but I just love it. Glad you do too. And that you are back blogging. :)

Adam and Lisa said...

I have the same love/hate with blogging. I love the ideas, the tips, the inspiration that I get from reading. I feel like I am much more creative and my family benefits from that. I hate when it consumes all of my time (ie - too tired to read my scriptures, but I read every blog that was published that day!) and how many times I don't get things done I need to (like now, when I really really need to do the dishes!!) One good thing has been posting my food storage goals on my blog - it really makes me be accountable and gives me a little push to get more done!!

Merilee said...

Welcome back friend...glad to have you! I wish I could say that I loved to craft. I would love to learn how to craft (apprently the freakin crafty gene skipped the Mike Olsen family altogether, because all of the cousins I have are all crafty...darn you!)I love to see what you are making, and in some way dream about me making one as well...and then I realize that that won't ever happen, so I just love to see your stuff! And, the hair is cute, no matter what you think!