Saturday, April 11, 2009

Side Slip Cloche (finished)

Here it is, and I love it. Easy and fast to knit, this one was pure fun!



Now, a word about my photography. Something is not gelling. I took 15 pictures of this hat because I just couldn't get it to look as cute in the pictures as it did in the mirror (could someone please explain this phenomenon to me?). And I go through the flash dance (not that flash dance...give me a moment to compose myself from laughing....) every time I take a picture of any of my projects. Take one with the flash, take one without the flash. with, without, with, without. With gives an artificial light and makes my background too dark, without gives the right light but the image comes out looking fuzzy--even if I place the camera on an inanimate object and set the shutter on a timer. And then I pose. and pose. and repose and pose again to get the perfect angle that both shows off my object and doesn't make me look like a dork. This process is doubled any time my face is involved-- my eyes look dead in that one, my chin is too high in that one, my smile looks too fake in that one, that one is just too cheesy, etc etc. And the thing is, some of the best ones look a little over-posed, but I use them anyway, because when I just "look normal" it looks stupid (does that mean that I normally look stupid?)

Maybe I'll start taking my pictures outside. And maybe I need a professional camera. All in all, I'm extremely disappointed in my pictures and picture taking ability. Take this post's pictures for example: I had to take them without the flash, but there wasn't enough light on my face so I had to over-expose them in my photo editor, bring down the highlights, and up the saturation just to make it look decent. By doing that though, my pictures turned grainy. *sigh* I need help, does anyone have advice?

So if my pictures ever look like I'm trying too hard, it's because I am trying too hard--way way too hard.

Specs
Pattern: from Boutique Knits by Laura Irwin
Yarn: Rowan RYC Soft Lux in Mist
Needles: knit in the round (except the band) with size 5 needles
Changes: I added an inch to the band and an inch of stitches to the body for size

12 comments:

ty and megs said...

wow! i love it! and you make a great model. flash dance and all.

Kara said...

SO DARLING! IT turned out so fab. And it looks amazing on you. Believe me I feel your pain on pictures. Outside and natural light definitely helps though.

Adam and Lisa said...

I don't have any advice because I have the same problem with pictures. But knowing that I'm not the only one with 80 pictures of stuff for the blog makes me feel better! Love the hat, by the way!

Erin said...

I have seen other versions of this hat but yours is the only one I have seen that is as cute as the cover of that book. I LOVE it! And I totally have the same issues with photography. I have thought about taking a class just because it is a good skill to have.

Sarah said...

Ali,
I love you, I love your blog, I love your pictures....love it, love it, love it! And that hat is rockin'. I am so impressed

Matthew Newsome, FSA Scot, GTS said...

Ali,

Take your pictures outside, in natural sunlight. I always have the best luck in natural light, the pictures are in focus and great looking.

Indoors, the lighting really has to be perfect, or else I have all the same problems you describe.

I always try to take pics of my wife's knits outdoors for just this reason.

ali said...

I'm thinking you are right--outside it is!

Also, I'm heavily contemplating buying a DSLR camera and taking some classes.

ABlack said...

I love this! I wish I had more faith in my knitting abilities right now, I'll print the pattern and put it in my "someday" folder. You look great in hats by the way!

Steve White said...

Perfect article, can't wait to use it this weekend. Hey, if you want to post your article on a cool website or check out some similar articles you should go to Wacanai.com(http://www.wacanai.com/intro). People post their articles on “how to.” It tells you how to make gifts, food, drinks, how to fix things, get stains out and a whole lot more. I love it! You have to check it out yourself!!!!!!!!!!! They will promote your article for you and everything, plus they have graphs you can put on your page to track how many people read and use your info.

liz said...

great job! that hat is darling.

my pics always suck too. . .

Annalee said...

Shut up. I want that hat, badly.

I have the same picture problems. It's the camera and the indoor light. I'm going to sell my kidney to buy a new mixer and a DSLR.

Annalee said...

Shut up. I want that hat, badly.

I have the same picture problems. It's the camera and the indoor light. I'm going to sell my kidney to buy a new mixer and a DSLR.