Friday, July 31, 2009

What I've Been Up To

Another appropriate title would be:  The Lazy Blogger.

So here's where I apologize profusely for not blogging lately--  Sorry.

Anyway, let's get on with it.  I want to tell you all a little bit about what I've been crafting lately.  It has been a very interesting summer craft wise, I have learned a few new skills, stretched some current skills and also revisited old skills.  I have purchased way more crafting books than I need, and have therefore also made promises to myself about making more things.  Anyway, here we go:


Knitting:
I wanted to take a small hiatus from knitting for the summer, but in a visit to the yarn store, I found some delicious new yarn that I knew would make the perfect pair of summer pants for my baby boy.  Then I found a long lost pattern for a pair of booties that I've been wanting to make for about 7 years so I had to do those too (posts coming).  Overall though, knitting has not been the star of the summer.

Sewing:
I have made a thing or two for my kids, and have also desperately longed to make myself something, but I am waiting for some weight to be lost before I do that.  Oddly enough though--I've begun a couple of quilts.  I've never been much of a quilter, but lately something has churned inside of me (I think it's hereditary, personally, so if you are related to about 15 major quilters like I am, it's just inevitable) and I have caught the bug so to speak.  Can't wait to blog about those and show you all about them!

Crocheting:
When I started knitting about 7 years ago I stuck my nose up at crochet and wrote it off as too hokey and homemade-looking.  I have sense seen the error of my ways and have learned to love crochet and appreciate it in a whole new way.  I have been making all kinds of little toys called amigurumi (which is sooo addictive by the way), and have plans to make loads of other things as well.  Also, it has been a great refresher course in using quality yarn.

Photography:
In an effort to make my pictures better, and because I had once had a fling with photography in my younger years, I decided to go all the way (if you know me, this will make sense) and go back to school and get my BA degree in photography.  I am happy to report that I cashed in all of my savings and bought a camera much too sophisticated for me, and that I  have also been accepted back at BYU for hopefully the last time (this will also make sense if you know me).  I will start classes in January, and I will also be putting together a portfolio for the department because I have to apply for the program (wish me luck).  You can view my latest attempts with my intimidating new camera on my Picture Pages blog, and if you want an invitation email me or leave a comment.

Other:
An interesting thing that happened this summer, I have also begun to write.  I kept it a well guarded secret at first because I was afraid, and what I write is still a well guarded secret, but at least I am confident enough to say that I am doing it.  At the moment, I am writing novel-type stories about people and relationships, and I have found that I love it very much.  I'm trying not to give much thought to publishing, I'm just doing it for me for the time being, and I have found it to be a very satisfying creative outlet.  I can see that I am improving which makes me happy, and of course the dream is to be published some day in any way, but for now I'm just doing it for me.  I am surprised though at how I can sit and write about my characters and the time slips away and I will look up and realize that I have written 10 pages in a short sitting.  If only my school research papers went that well.  I hope to someday be able to share with you what I am doing, or to post about a publishing, but I wanted to at least tell you about it.

Anyway, this is what summer has been like for me-- I will post more about my finished projects, I promise!  Check out the one I just posted below...

5 comments:

Kara said...

Well, you have been busy! That is awesome about getting your BA in Photography!

JujuBean said...

You're living this wanna-be crafter's dream. Let me know how the photography's coming along. I'm so tired of my boring point-and-shoot pictures, I kidnap my niece's Nikon D40 whenever she's not looking! Keep it up!

Shanna said...

That is so awesome, congrats on all those exciting things happening for you! Can't wait to see some of the projects!

Erin said...

Holy cow. Some serious announcements here. I can't wait to hear more and congrats on the school decision.

Emily said...

I think you would be a fabulous writer! You have a great way of saying things that is very vivid and creative! Plus, you're kinda sassy. I like sass!! Good luck in all of your endeavors...