Sunday, January 24, 2010

Kilt Inspired Skirt

Over the Christmas holiday, I came across this beautiful skirt from Sundance catalog:


Unfortunately, when I went to order it, they were out entirely. So then, that old familiar voice popped into my head and recited it's old familiar chant: "I can totally make this."

Luckily, I happen to know a small bit about kilts since I am a huge fan, and luckily I have kilted friends in high places who were so kindly willing to help me figure out how to do this. Along with their help, I enlisted the help of a spectacular book about drafting patterns for skirts that I highly recommend to any sewist in need of skirts:





I actually have a physical copy of the picture of the skirt above that is quite a bit larger, and it appears to be a separate fitted yoke with knife pleated skirt attached to the outside with a raw edge. Here is the progress so far, what do you think?


Close-up of the Yoke



Close-up of the pleats (the white stitches are just basting stitches that will be removed later)



The pleated skirt in it's entirety



The full yoke


I'm really excited about this skirt, I think it's the nicest thing I have ever made for myself--or ever maybe! The fabric is exquisite. It's a hand woven Harris Tweed from Scotland that I purchased from my friends at The Scottish Tartans Museum in Franklin, NC. I love working with a beautiful fabric, the only thing that I worry about is that when it comes time to wear it, I'll be stressed out of my mind, not to mention when it comes time to have it cleaned (eep!). Well, I should have it finished soon, I'm trying to get some serious wear time in before the weather gets warmer (see? there are benefits to living in a place that has four seasons!). Stay tuned!

3 comments:

Shanna said...

Oh, that looks so beautiful! I love the picture, and your fabric looks fabulous! I can't wait to see the finished result!

Kara said...

Holy smokes! It looks amazing! What a great project it is shaping up to be.

Erin said...

Wow beautiful! This is a crazy awesome project. I can't wait to see it finished!!