Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Arm Warmers (finished)

So... either these were really easy or I'm getting faster because these knit up so very fast. In fact, I bought some different yarn because I thought I would get them done in time for fall, but I decided to see if I could get a spring pair done in time to bring to the Alaskan cruise I have planned in June.

And I did! And I love them!

I'm a bit perturbed about the pattern though, it tells you to knit on the wrong side after the hole for the thumb, but then it asks you to knit the cuff... Um, how can you knit on the wrong side in the round and have it come out stockinette? You can't. Believe it or not, this did cause some problems as I worked through the first draft (yes, I made three and had to rip out the first). And the thing is, I want to trust my instincts and knit on the right side instead, but for some reason I tell myself that the pattern knows best. GRR. There's just no way of telling whether your instincts will be right or if the pattern is right.

Also, I had some sizing issues. The first one I made was incredibly tight and too short regardless of the fact that I checked my gauge and measured the length. I ended up having to add 15 more stitches and about 5 more inches. I'm blaming it on the ribbing, I never know how to check ribbed gauge, do I measure it relaxed or stretched? Heaven forbid the pattern tell me, so I measured it how I wanted it to look which was somewhere in the middle of relaxed and stretched and it still wasn't enough.

Maybe this will help some of you if you decide to make these, or then again, maybe I'm just incompetent.


The one on the left is accidentally rolled down a little, that's why it looks different at the top.



I can never resist a good close up of the stitches.

And finally, Jon and I thought this would be a good opportunity to show you the heat that I'm packing. Yes my skin is pale, and yes I prefer it that way.


They keep my arms surprisingly warm, Oh, and I used 100% baby alpaca. So soft. Like butter. (but harrier) Watch out for that because some companies give their yarn the name "baby alpaca" and then blend it with wool or acrylic. Not nearly as soft or as pretty.

*Stay tuned for a fall version of these!


Specs


Thank you to my lovely assistant Jon for shooting this project

4 comments:

Shanna said...

gorgeous! and I am jealous of the alaskan cruise! :)

Erin said...

So beautiful! I absolutely love these arm warmers.

Becky said...

love theses! and the close-up shots are fabulous.

your "pale" skin is beautiful.

Juli said...

Hey, those look really familiar ;-).