Sunday, May 9, 2010

Lounge Pants (finished)

I've always been a sucker for satiny fabrics and satiny pajamas, and when I found this awesome smooth as butter gunmetal grey satin fabric I had to have some pajama pants made out of it.

I have Amy Butler's book In Stitches which has this great pattern for wide legged lounge pants in it, and I instantly had this idea for some glam 1930's art deco old hollywood (you get the idea) pajamas.

Hopefully I hit a mark somewhere near there---



I love how you can see my kids' scooters in the background-- sort of ruins the whole "1930's Hollywood Glam" look that I was going for.



I don't know, but for some reason, I felt like these pants were telling me to put the drawstring on the hip instead of the middle-- but I'm a rebel like that. You see, some people look at a side drawstring and ask "why?" I look at a side drawstring and ask "why not?"

I should mention that this type of drawstring is actually a mix between an elastic band and a drawstring, it's a new favorite technique of mine that I learned on Greta's pettiskirt. What you do is leave the elastic unattached and sew two pieces of ribbon at either end. Then you thread it through the casing and tie the ends of the ribbon on the outside. It looks like a ribbon drawstring, but it has the benefit of an elastic band in that you don't have to untie and retie the bow.

Does all of that make sense?


Ok, now on to the seams. Have you ever sewn on this type of material? It's beastly. Notice the puckering on the seams? I tried everything I could think of to get this figured out and fixed. After I made them, my Mom suggested a differential feed foot for my sewing machine which I am now thinking would have worked. So I'm not giving up, someday I will figure out how to sew on this type of fabric!

Also, I decided to finish these really well and use french seams which I love. I was going to take a picture of them, but I forgot (sorry). Trust me though, they are there.

Specs
Pattern: Lounge Pants found in Amy Butler's In Stitches

4 comments:

Kara said...

Oh so glam! I have never sewed with this material either, but I bet it is tricky! But so cute.

Shanna said...

awesome! love the look. I also love that ribbon/elastic idea. I'm going to try that one!

Melanie said...

I am in love with the side drawstring. Love these lounge pants!

Erin said...

So fab! I love everything about them!