Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Father's Day Ties (finished)

Happy Father's Day!

........20 days ago. I always feel a bit sad that I am unable to post these time sensitive projects before the event so that someone can possibly get an idea of what to give (I myself struggle with this), but I'm also so worried that that'll be the day the recipient of the gift will choose to check my blog. So consider this an advance on an idea for next year, and maybe if you start now you'll have them finished the night before. Haha-- that's a little joke at the expense of hand sewing. Those of you who know me should know that I'm a bit of a procrastinator, and I spent many a wee early morning hour finishing these up.


The fabric I chose is L: Dupioni Silk and R: Silk twill weave. It occurred to me, as I was beginning these ties, that ties are completely non-functional. Essentially, ties are showing off good fabric. That's all that's going on here, and in light of that, one must pick the very best fabric available. Yes, that brings the price up, but when you consider that you are making a tie that would otherwise sell for 100 dollars or more retail, 30$ doesn't seem too terrible for the 7/8 of a yard required for one tie. Yes you read that right-- good fabric is expensive!



I have to say, these were fun to make, but very time consuming. I think the hardest part was my thread on the gray striped tie kept knotting and twisting. I think I spent more time dealing with the thread then actually sewing with it. Part of that was the fabric, it was stiff and grippy and liked to tug at the thread. Part of that was my stubborn need to have it all done with one long piece of thread. Bad habit though-- I really must quit that and use smaller more manageable lengths.

Well, I dare say (sorry, I've been watching a lot of BBC period dramas lately, so you'll have to put up with the odd British phrase like "dare say") that my father and the father of my children liked their ties very much, and one guy at church even came up to me and told me that my husband's tie is so nice he would even buy it if he saw it in a store. I think that's a compliment... I should have asked him which store.

Loads of fun though-- I think that with just about everything I make, I tell myself that I should make a whole lot of them and sell them, but afterward I'm just so anxious to get on to something new that I never come back to the idea. Maybe some day I'll work that out and become a tie maker.

Specs:
Pattern: McCall's 2447 (also the same pattern used for men's dress shirt)
Fabric: 100% Silk Dupioni (gray striped) and 100% Silk Twill (pattern)

5 comments:

Erin said...

LOVE the ties and the fabric choices. You are really such an expert!

Kara said...

I have that silk twill fabric! Now I just need to make something out of it.

ali said...

ooo- Kara-- I can't wait to see what you do with it!

Becky said...

Seriously, Ali. These were beautiful and so well done. It was so nice of you to make ties for them...so thoughtful. I hope they appreciate all the time and effort you put into them.

...and yes, I think you should become a tie maker!

Sarah said...

Wow, Ali, you have been busy! I love all the stuff you have been working on lately. I also took that intermediate sewing class at BYU and loved it! It was the last class I got to take before we moved and I sure wish that I had been able to take more...that swimsuit/knit class sounds awesome.

Way to go.