Sunday, June 12, 2011

Zip Hoodie (finished)


Doesn't Zip Hoodie sound like a name some looney celebrity would give his or her child?

Anyhoo--

Here is my very first BYU-under-professor-supervision project. It was supposed to be a fleece hoodie, but for some reason I was feeling nonconformist and decided to ask for special permission to use french terry (also a stable knit, meaning it is technically knit, but doesn't stretch much). I like french terry, but what was I thinking buying this color?? Someone want to take a stab at that one? Because I'm at a loss. What a horrid color choice.




Moving on. I think I did a pretty good job, but there are a few things I'm not terribly happy about. One of them is the size-- I'm not sure I can adequately describe the amount of second guessing and indecision that can happen when you are suddenly in control of your clothes (especially when you have a professor, a Teacher's Assistant, and 20 or so others weighing in), but I agonized on how tight to make this. We decided that I didn't want it to be skin tight (did I?) and also that I'd be wearing it over other clothing. Then, when I tried it on for my professor, she said, "oh what a cute slouchy jacket!" Slouchy? I didn't think that was the look I was going for, so I went to the mirror and pinched the back together taking out an inch or two. Yeah-- that was much better. Also, the sleeves were too long, so I decided to do a cool technique and sew pleats in the sleeves. I love how it turned out, but somehow one ended up shorter than the other (it must be my arms because I swear I measured the heck out of it).




So to be truly happy with this, I'd have to take out a chunk of the bodice and refit the short sleeve, but I'm too busy now with other things.

4 comments:

Kara said...

I love the sleeve pleat. How cool is that?! I cannot even believe you sewed a hoodie. That is like real clothing, for reals! I say well done!

Erin said...

You are so legit it is crazy! LOVE the sleeves and hoodie. Great job.

Adam said...

Ali, this is a very cool hoodie. Look at you, picking up all these skills. Great job!

Becky said...

That sleeve pleat is my favorite. I don't mind the color, just have fun with whatever you wear under it.

Your classes are so cool!

(Can you tell I'm catching up on all your posts?)