Saturday, September 10, 2011

Striped Knit Skirt (finished)

Wow-- my hair is getting loooong!  And check out those palm trees!  Ah, California.


This is one of the skirts that I made in protest to moving at the beginning of August.  I really like it, but I'm going to need to fix it a bit.  You see, I had this idea to make a skirt that was self-lined by folding over the fabric at the hemline, which is lovely except that I wasn't sure how to make it curvier so I cut a straight rectangle instead-- telling myself that it would forgive a bit since it is knit.  Somewhere in Provo, my sewing professor is dying a tiny bit inside and most likely shaking her head at my sewing obstinacy.  I can hear her saying Ali, you are not a brick, you have curves!


Ok, ok, I hear you.  I promise to make it better and to resist the urge to do it again.  The waist is a little bit too big too because I didn't allow for enough negative ease, something I'm still learning with knits-- it's funsies because each knit stretches a unique amount so there isn't really one amount of negative ease to employ-- you kind of have to guess and experiment (if I am wrong, please feel free to correct me).

But-- I love the folded over effect, and I have plans to do it again real soon (I'm aware that I'm blatantly ignoring the rules of grammar-- and my awareness makes it ok, right?).  And then when I'm done fixing this one, I'll post it again with details.  Wow-- two sentences beginning with prepositions! I'm definitely developing some problem solving skills in my sewing that's for sure.

4 comments:

Jessica said...

Love it Ali! Turned out really good. I am loving those Palm trees too, so jealous! :-)

Kara said...

I love it! You look like a fashion pin on Pinterest.

Emily said...

I have no idea what you just said....cute skirt. The end.

Erin said...

Just gorgeous! I love the stripes too.